Thursday, February 24, 2011

Irrational Fear

My husband and I were watching Tosh.0 the other night, and there was a bit where a guy in a gorilla suit made an appearance.  My close family and friends know I have an irrational fear of people dressed in "monkey suits".  I refer to them as "monkey men".  I believe it is more of a discomfort with people dressed in costumes that totally obscure the person.  People tend to act differently than they normally would when you cannot fully see them.  Just like how people chatting online get brave and say things they wouldn't say to someone face to face.  They can be anything they want to be.  In this case, they are dressed like a gorilla and, therefore, they are acting like an animal and not a person.  Even just seeing this guy on tv gave me the creeps, and made me uncomfortable.  Anytime there is a Halloween store that we want to go in, I have to have my husband go in and make sure there are no monkey men walking around.  I don't know why that is the costume of choice for employees who dress up for the job, but so often it is.  The mall in the city we used to live in, always had a Halloween store.  If I saw a monkey man in that store, I'd walk on the other side of aisle between stores so kiosks were between us.  I'm serious.  It is stupid and silly, but I hate it.  I don't really like clowns or the Hershey candy people walking around Hershey Park.  Let me see your face, people!  haha 

Seeing that guy on Tosh caught me off guard.  Usually this fear only becomes an issue around Halloween, for obvious reasons, so a February sighting was unexpected.  I wish I had more normal fears.  I'm also afraid of port-a-potties.  I simply will not go in one unless I'm down to the last second before I pee my pants.  Even then I have to weigh the pros and cons of peeing my pants against stepping foot in a spot-a-pot.  For a mild germ-a-phobe they are a nightmare.  Not to mention the risk of them tipping over is more than I'm willing to take.  They are just all around gross, and unpredictable since they are, in fact, portable. 

Yes, I know this post was a bit random, but it was all brought to mind by that show.  Hopefully I have no other monkey man run ins this year, at least not until Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment