Thursday, August 25, 2011

Leave it to a baby to upstage you

My older son met his teacher today.  The teacher and aide actually came to make a home visit (I suppose they need to make sure that the children attending their private school are not living in squalor *you can't see my eyes rolling, so you'll just have to trust that they are*).  I'm sure they have a reason to do this more along the lines of  "it helps the kids get to know them in their own, comfortable environment."  Doesn't that sound more warm and fuzzy?  So, the child I've described to this woman during 2 previous phone conversations, promptly acted like he was abducted by aliens and replaced by a shy, timid, and near silent child who at least resembled his physical appearance.  *sigh*  Maybe this was because I told him not to be so loud and "try not to scream or act like a spazz".  (Spazzing out is one of his very favorite activities.)  How he took that to mean "stare at her like she is speaking Chinese and you're an English mute.", I do not know.  Eventually he did speak, but mostly pressed up against my ear, with his hands cupped around it, whispering "top secret" answers to me.  FINALLY he told her his favorite song, and she asked him to sing it.  It's not really much of a singing song, it's kind of has a dance/ German hip hop feel to it.  So, he chose to sing a different German song from one of his favorite movies.  Then, it was time for them to leave.  As they started to get up, the baby, who had been charming them with his cute Frankenstein-esque walk, and incoherent baby babbles, stood straight up, gave them a broad smile with his silly one-tooth'd grin, waved and said "bye bye!"  He has never said bye bye, and this quickly had everyone's attention.  Even my other son was fussing over it.  That was the most "lively and true to how our family really is" interaction of the visit! 

Tomorrow my son goes to see his teacher in his classroom.  He will get his cubby, and hopefully he will act more like himself.  I will forgo telling him to hold back the spazziness.  We shall see if that makes a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment